Vice President (VP) of Finance
Job Description Template
A Vice President (VP) of Finance is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
- Why is your company so great to work for?
- What’s interesting about your company's future?
- What are the responsibilities of the role?
- What about the role makes this a chance for a rewarding career?
- What about the role is so intriguing that the candidate should leave their job to fill it?
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the VP of Finance job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the VP of Finance will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Vice President (VP) of Finance responsible for developing and directing the company’s analytical and financial plans and policies. Our VP of Finance will evolve our planning and forecasting processes, report on metrics, and drive business insights to optimize company growth. This is an excellent opportunity to implement process improvements for efficiency, scalability and productivity.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a VP of Finance. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Drive and manage the financial initiatives, budgeting processes, and KPI tracking including developing action plans to ensure annual financial objectives are met
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results
- Prepares timely and accurate analyses, summaries, and reports of financial data on the operating progress of the company
- Create a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting structure that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operational needs
- Routinely review revenue cycle metrics to proactively identify and address issues affecting overall performance
Manages the company’s compliance with local and federal regulatory matters
- Partner with senior leaders to ensure the company hits revenue targets
- Direct and manage the finance and accounting teams and develop the financial strategy for the organization
- Improve efficiency related to billing, reporting, revenue recognition, payments, receivable, etc.
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a VP of Finance. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in finance or accounting preferred
- [#] years of experience in a finance leadership role with an excellent understanding of business metrics
- In-depth knowledge of financial benchmarking, accounting, audit and tax compliance, and other regulatory matters
- Adept in fiscal management principles and processes including resource management and needs assessment
- Partner with Chief Revenue Officer & Chief Executive Officer to establish and track revenue goals
Possesses critical knowledge of federal and multiple state tax laws as well as basic accounting issues
- Able to identify risks as well as opportunities to provide feedback on decisions affecting financial results of the company
Benefits and Perks
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Health and wellness perks
- Flexible work schedule/work from home policies
- Stock options
- Company catered lunches
- Commuter benefits
- Education benefits
A Better Way to Find a VP
A VP of Finance is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best VP candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Consulting Group to find an Executive Recruiter that specializes in finding VPs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best recruiters that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.