Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Job Description Template
A Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
- Why is your company so great to work for?
- What’s interesting about your company's future?
- What are the responsibilities of the role?
- What about the role makes this a chance for a rewarding career?
- What about the role is so intriguing that the candidate should leave their job to fill it?
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the CEO job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the CEO will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a CEO will be responsible for casting the vision of the future and driving the team towards continued growth, including enhancing our offerings, bolstering our technology and marketing infrastructure, exploring new revenue models, and spearhead the company's dynamic and impactful future. This role will oversee all aspects of the organization with a specific focus on setting strategy in partnership with the Board of Directors, scaling the organization’s operations.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a CEO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Provide strong visionary leadership to ensure the company executes its mission and has the desired impact in the world
- Work with the Board of Directors to create and execute a multi-year strategic plan ensuring a collaborative approach that takes into account all ideas and includes multiple stakeholders
- Ability to motivate and lead large teams remotely while upholding an inclusive culture
- Manage and closely collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team to deliver on all organizational goals
- Select, train, motivate, evaluate, and mentor all organization personnel at the executive level
- Develop performance metrics and goals and provide support to management to ensure positive results are achieved
- Drive new strategic choices around marketing, partnerships, and other opportunities to scale the impact of the company
- Foster new ideas and initiatives; apply innovative thinking and performance measurements to analyze and support strategic decision-making
- Analyze and prepare recommendations for budgets, and effectively allocate limited resources
- Support activities related to the Board of Directors; provide monthly updates on progress toward strategic objectives and budget and respond to all board inquiries in a timely manner
- Provide general oversight of specific programs, services, and activities which support the goals and objectives of the organization
- Collaborate with various departments to deliver industry-specific capabilities in future offering roadmaps and drive vision into the market
- Speak publicly at conferences, events, and serve as lead spokesperson for all media relations
- Ensure a culture of diversity and inclusion, set internal organizational structure, manage the team towards meeting annual objectives, maintain a high level of staff retention & morale
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a CEO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
B.S. required, advanced degree in business related preferred
[#] years of experience in executive leadership managing large teams and implementing large-scale strategies
- Prior successful experience working directly with and/or reporting to a Board of Directors
- Knowledge of, and ability to lead strategic decisions
- Experience leading a business through periods of dynamic changes and challenge
- Strong leadership ability, interpersonal skill set, mentorship mentality, and competitive nature
- Ability to tailor strategy, tactics and scalable processes to address shifting market opportunities
- History with successful management of a dynamic, multi-program organization and how to maximize effectiveness
Ability to train, develop and manage large executive teams
- Experience leveraging technology to improve organizational processes
- Ability to interpret complex materials, assemble and analyze information, and prepare written reports and records in a clear, concise manner
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and public speaking skills
Benefits and Perks
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Health and wellness perks
- Flexible work schedule/work from home policies
- Stock options
- Company catered lunches
- Commuter benefits
- Education benefits
A Better Way to Find a CEO
A CEO is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best CEO candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Consulting Group to find an Executive Recruiter that specializes in finding CEOs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best recruiters that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.